Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Ideas for Theatre:
a Play to be Interpreted, 'Dream', the 'Corpse Bride' and 'Festen'.

Has anyone ever written a play which is designed to be interpreted? The trend in modern theatre (as opposed to Shakespeare etc.) seems that the author envisions almost everything and puts it down, to make any performance one of his original vision. I was thinking that if I wrote a play with no reference to anything about the character or appearance of the characters, maybe try to even leave out character genders, then performances would all be very different. Maybe I could use colours and typefaces to distinguish who was speaking.
I also thought it would be fun to do A Midsummer Night's Dream set in an office.
I envisage Puck as the computer nerd who does all the odd-jobs; Oberon as the grumpy senior management who can't work the gadgets himself, and can't quite articulate what he wants his staff to do; Titania the pretty but manipulative character (no change there) and Theseus as the CEO who occasionally comes on, takes control and sorts everything out.
Why was I thinking this? Liv, Betty and I went to Brecht's house at the weekend. It was lovely. Wide and tall and confident rooms. Full of books, shelves and shelves of Lenin and of English detective stories. He liked to have lots of tables out so he could work on several different things at once. His study looked over a cemetery, apparently he liked to look out at the graves of people he admired.
Thinking about corpses, the Corpse Bride by Tim Burton is masterful, and so much fun! The characters are fantastic (especially the Corpse herself, I would much rather her with her frown than the bland living girl: you can see her teeth through her cheek).
I also watched Festen with Liv and Betty on Friday. Another great film. Rather than fighting against the Dogme rules, Vinterberg works with them to produce a very grounded and realistic film which draws you in and makes you care for all the characters, for their success or demise.
This makes me want to make films! Good ideas don't present themselves to me, but I think maybe I trying to think of an idea for a film directly is too great a task, I should think of funny things first and try and scale them up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home