Friday, January 05, 2007

Richard Dawkins' Soul

A while back, I sent this to Richard Dawkins:

Hi Richard,

I recently read a transcript of a discussion you had several years ago with Steven Pinker. Within, you express lack of belief in the existence of souls.

You define a soul therein as "the principle of life in man or animals", "the principle of thought and action in man commonly regarded as an entity distinct from the body, the spiritual part of man in contrast to the purely physical", "the spiritual part of man regarded as surviving after death, and as susceptible of happiness or misery in a future state", "the disembodied spirit of a deceased person regarded as a separate entity and as invested with some amount of form and personality".

With this in mind, can I buy your soul? It will be easy for you to fob me off with something like "what's the point of selling what is effectively a non-entity". However, as far as I'm concerned, it's fine if you don't believe in them. I would be buying your agreement that I own your soul, if you do have one. Please get back to me if you are interested. If you're not interested, why not? Surely it's free money to you? Either way, I would love to receive a reply.

Best wishes,

Henry

I didn't get a reply. At the time, I was very excited, but I guess in retrospect it's not that surprising. He probably doesn't want there to be any indication whatsoever that he believes in anything supernatural...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Henry, You little piss taker!!!

Love from me.. Mr G.C. Hooray for George!!

1:25 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

you have to be joking, Henry!!! ha!

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home